Monday, February 16, 2009

Raising Teenagers is for the Birds

We just had an incident on Friday night...a late night call from the school. There was a school dance that two of my teenagers were going to. Once decided not to go, but still had to pick up my other teen....Well, said teen driver brought friends along that had been drinking and were obviously drunk. So a Breathalyzer was done on my teen driver, and there was enough alcohol in teen DRIVER, to the equivalent of cough medicine. So we now have teen driver home for 3 days from school. We have enforced some consequences at home. We are being so unfair.....none of the other students...five total got in any sort of trouble at home.

We live in such an entitlement age. Everyone else got off, why am I being punished? Says a teen who made the wrong decision to drink and drive....

We are dealing with truthfulness, underage drinking, drinking then driving, bringing in an innocent sister into the mix, and possibly a court date, which is yet to be determined. As parents, are we not suppose to discipline our children? Are our children entitled to seek their own discipline, based on what other parents are doing?

I don't want my children to grow up thinking they deserve anything...yet this is sort of what is expected...I think one minute my 17 year old is growing up, then he proves me way wrong. Plus I am sending him off to college in less than six months. It just seems as if there is so much growing up that needs to happen in the teen years....Will the REAL world show him how good he really did have it at home???

No comments:

script language="JavaScript">

About Me

Minnesota, United States
I am a wife, mother to five children, 2 cats, 3 dogs. Hoping to be a mother to more children someday through adopting waiting children in Minnesota.